Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dutch Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips


Yeah, this is a good cookie!  After making the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies I was thinking the only thing that could taste better would be Chocolate Shortbread with Peanut Butter Chips!  I don't know why, but a chocolate cookie base gets me every time.  It's a weakness.  :)

I searched everywhere for a chocolate shortbread recipe that would fit what I had in mind.  I found myself in the same reference place as with the Peanut Butter Shortbread - The View From Great Island.  She's some kind of a shortbread genius!  These cookies absolutely melt in your mouth and I am a huge fan of rolling the dough into a log to slice and bake the cookies.  Super smart!

Dutch Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips
adapted very slightly from The View From Great Island

1 stick butter (I used salted), room temperature
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa
peanut butter chips
milk chocolate chips, if desired
  • In medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, and cocoa.
  • In large bowl, beat together butter and vanilla until fluffy.
  • Add dry ingredients to butter and combine together with electric mixer.
  • Dough will be extremely crumbly.  After ingredients are combined, use a wooden spoon to mix crumbs into a dough.
  • Add peanut butter chips, whatever your desired amount is.  I like a lot.
  • Since this cookie dough is not overly sweet, add a small amount of milk chocolate chips, if desired, just to give it a little more sugary chocolate taste.
  • Turn dough onto waxed paper and shape into log.
  • Wrap waxed paper around log of dough and twist ends like a piece of candy.

  • Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
  • Remove waxed paper and slice dough into discs.  Place on cookie sheet.

  • Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
  • Cookies will be extremely soft when finished baking. DO NOT overbake!  
  • Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes before removing.  When they are cooled they will be solid.
  • Eat and enjoy!

I really love these cookies!  They have a perfect balance of chocolate and peanut butter.  I think the addition of milk chocolate chips adds the right amount of sweetness to elevate the chocolate taste, which makes the peanut butter shine!  As I mentioned in my last shortbread post - these cookies are so easy and so quickly put together they make a nice day-of dessert with minimal fuss.  If you like shortbread cookies, peanut butter, and chocolate....this is a winner!






17 comments:

  1. Oh stars. Another recipe for my PB/Chocolate pinboard! I have been craving something with peanut butter/chocolate. I think I"ve found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These absolutely melt in your mouth! I hope you make them soon and enjoy every bite. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. This is a great recipe. I love that it uses basic ingredients. I need to try this. I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy! I LOVE shortbread cookies because they are so basic and require few ingredients to make a fabulous cookie!! Glad you like the recipe - I hope you love it!! Thanks for visiting, please come back soon. :)

      Delete
  3. YUM! Chocolate with peanut butter chips??? SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! :) I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I did!!

      Delete
  4. I love Shortbread cookies, but I've never tasted this kind and I'm very curious as your cookies look delicious.
    Thank you so much for sharing, I'm gonna pin it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Winnie! I love shortbread, too! I *loved* this one in particular! I hope you enjoy them. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! These look amazing! I would love for to share with my readers on Blog Stalking Thursday!

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-stalking-thursday-32.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! I'm sorry I was a bit too late to share these at your party, but I just submitted my Ladybug Cupcakes. Thank you so much for the invitation. :) I'm your newest follower!!

      Delete
  6. What a great combination! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday! I hope you'll stop back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I love linking up with Mix it up Monday!! Happy Spring!

      Delete
  7. These look and sound delicious. Thank you for sharing at Whimsy Wednesday. I can't wait to see what you share next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! And thanks for hosting each week. :) Happy Spring!

      Delete
  8. Hi! I'm so sorry I missed the party, but I have you added to my blog linky list now so I'll be there on Sunday! Thanks so much for the invitation. :) Thanks for visiting Life Is Sweets - hope to see you here again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might I ask how many cookies this recipe makes? Thanks so much. They sound wonderful and I would like to make them for our Easter celebration this weekend, but want to be sure I have enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Martha! These certainly are delicious cookies and I hope you enjoy them! I'm sorry to give you a vague answer, but how many cookies this recipe will make depends on how big/thick you make them. If you look at the photo about with the sliced cookies, I got about 7 cookies. However, I did make them very thick. If you shape the log smaller and cut thinner cookies, you would get more. Since you are making these for Easter I would definitely double the recipe. They mix up VERY quickly, so if you do it the day before you'll be able to judge if you will have enough. I hope this helps!! Happy Easter. :)

      Delete